fit4life

Friday, March 15, 2013

Simple healthy changes!

   A couple years ago when I started on my health journey Joe agreed to start changing some of the foods we eat in the house.  Leading a healthy lifestyle is so much easier if your family is also on board with you.  Somethings they won't even notice but it will help keep them healthy for life.  Joe and I decided to never buy dairy milk again.  Many new studies over the years have shown the negative side effects of cows milks on our bodies.  Same thing goes with soy, it is a better option but our bodies digust nut milk better so we have been drinking Alomond Milk for the last 2 years and love it!  It has twice the amount of calcium as dairy milk and it doesn't hurt my stomach.  Gage loves the Vanilla Almond Milk =)  I also never buy bleached flour.  You can find all purpose flour that is unbleached, just check the labels!  I use a lot of whole wheat flour but there are so many options like buckwheat flour, oat flour, teff flour, if you want to try something new.  You will never find vegetable oil in my house either.  I cook with olive oil all the time and it is such a better source of the good fats you need.  In order to lose weight you need to have good fats!!  Look for the mono and poly unsaturated fats in foods.  If something will taste horrible with oilive oil then I use Canola oil.  Another thing we decided on was to never buy beef again.  I cook with only lean turkey meat, chicken, or fish.  Switching out the beef for turkey is such a good change, in most foods you can't tell and Joe even likes it better now because there is hardly any fat from the meat in our food. 
   Carrie Underwood lost a lot of weight a few years ago and one of the things she said she did was when she was reading the labels on food if there was an ingredient she didn't know (most of the time they are added dangerous chemicals) then she didn't eat it.  I thought this was a good example of how much crap is in our food.  The more there is in something the worse it probably is for you!  Many of you reading this are probably wondering how you will get your kids to like foods that are "good for them".  Well for starters, if they have never been introduced to then they won't want it, for instance Gage has never had a hamburger or mac n cheese.  He has seen it and I have asked him if he would want it but because he eats well and we dont eat like that he doesn't care for it!  Start them young on good habits so they will not want the junk later.  I believe though that if you completely keep things away from children then they tend to hoard that food later and have issues because they never had it growing up.  Moderation in all things, just make the things they might want treats or only on special occasions so they understand its not a daily thing. If you need ideas on foods to make or creative ways to put stuff in food, follow me on pinterest.  I don't have a lot of recipes on there yet but I have pinned some awesome sites that are full of them.  If something temps you that you know you can't avoid if its in the home then don't buy it!  I love cheese crackers so I know I just can't buy them because even I am human and struggle with temptations =)  So in review making these simple switcheroos will help you stay healthy,

1. Olive oil instead of vegetable
2. Turkey (lean meats) instead of beef
3. Whole grain flour instead of white and bleached flour
4. Almond Milk instead of dairy
5. Stay away from unknown chemicals and food coloring in foods

You will be surprised what you need to throw out and change when you follow these simple guidelines! 


No comments:

Post a Comment